AnyBlok versus others
You may wonder why using AnyBlok over other existing solutions. We don't really like to compare because we wouldn't probably compete with others but in some conditions it can help to understand and make a choice.
Disclaimer: this part is how we understand other tools at the time we are writing this book. The world is moving, feel free to open a Pull Request and change the content of this book if we are wrong.
AnyBlok mechanisms are fairly inspired from odoo. Here are some differences:
- AnyBlok is 100% OpenSource
- AnyBlok do not create a new ORM, it had used an existing powerful one for years: SqlAlchemy
- With AnyBlok you can use normal python packages to deliver and manage your code (which become possible in odoo with community efforts)
- Backend and graphical user interface are split
- With AnyBlok you can manage web sessions as you want
- AnyBlok reuses existing community packages as soon as it can
SqlAlchemy / Pyramid
Below are some sorts of things that you don't have to worry with AnyBlok that you should implement if you are using SQLAlchemy and Pyramid by yourself:
- AnyBlok makes it easy to extend models between different python packages
- AnyBlok allows to install different bloks provided by same packages to get different behaviors and models installed in the database
- Pyramid web session is synced with database transaction
But moving simple AnyBlok application code to pure SqlAlchemy wouldn't be that hard.